Visit the National Eagle Center
Experience our breathtaking views and come face-to-face with our eagle ambassadors
Whether this is your first or 100th visit to the Center, we have a memorable experience awaiting you. Choose from our unique bird-watching adventures and enter a world where eagles and expectations soar.
Plan Your Next Amazing Eagle Experience!
Join an epic bird-watching expedition by coach bus to the Upper Mississippi River Valley and watch Bald and Golden Eagles and other majestic birds in their natural habitat, guided by our expert naturalists.
Choose from the following adventures.
Eagle Habitat Tours
Follow your naturalist guide in your own vehicle to pre-scouted locations to observe Bald Eagles, nest sites, migrating waterfowl, wildlife, and the beautiful, but elusive Golden Eagles that overwinter in the region.
Habitat Tours include:
- A premium 2.5 hour experience.
- Expert guides and scouted locations.
- Your choice of Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle (seasonal) focus.
- Personalized one on one learning with an eagle expert in the field.
- Complimentary collectible replica eagle band for each attendee.
- Free passes for admission to the Center.
Book A River Cruise
Enjoy a fun and memorable afternoon viewing Bald Eagles and other wildlife with a cruise on the picturesque Mississippi River aboard the Cal Fremling tour boat in Winona, MN. These cruises offer you the chance to view eagles from the river perspective and provide an up-close look at their behavior and habitat as well as amazing photo opportunities.
Bring your family, friends, and camera, and join our expert naturalists and the crew of the Cal Fremling for an experience you won’t soon forget.
River Cruises include:
- A premium 2-hour experience.
- Expert guides and informative programming.
- Indoor and open-air seating available.
- On-board restroom.
- Free passes for admission to the Center.
Cruises begin boarding at 1:45pm and launch at 2:00pm.
Bald Eagle Field Trip
(Available October through April)
In summer, observe Bald Eagles nesting along the river valley and feeding their young fish from the Mississippi River.
In winter, experience the migration of hundreds of Bald Eagles and watch as they perch in the trees along the river’s edge.
Golden Eagle Field Trip
(Available December through February)
Golden Eagles are more elusive than Bald Eagles and live and hunt along the bluffs. Thanks to the ongoing work of our annual Golden Eagle Survey, we are learning more about these beautiful birds.
Learn to identify Golden and Bald Eagles, distinguish a juvenile Bald Eagle from an adult Golden Eagle, and receive pointers on how to spot a Golden Eagle along the bluffs.
Swan And Waterfowl Field Trip
Every fall, thousands of Tundra Swans migrate through the region en route to their winter grounds on the Chesapeake Bay. Many species of waterfowl also move through the Upper Mississippi River Flyway and spend the winter on the river.
Our expert naturalists guide you to swan and waterfowl viewing hotspots and teach you about their migration, diet, and tips for identifying them on your own.
Journey Behind The Scenes
Book an experience for you and your small group, up to five individuals, to get a unique look at how we care for the National Eagle Center’s ambassadors!
- You will be paired with an Avian Care staff member who will lead your group through our Behind-the-Scenes area, answer all your questions, and share with you how the National Eagle Center cares for our ambassadors.
- Your Behind-the-Scenes group will receive free admission to the National Eagle Center for the day of your experience.
The Behind-the-Scenes tour may include:
- Observe, or even, assist with our ambassadors’ food prep.
- Get to see, up close, an avian care staff member conduct a training session with an ambassador.
- Help create enrichment for, at least one, of our ambassadors.
Experiences may differ based on time of year, Avian Flu status, and your group, but we will always work to tailor your experience to your group’s preferences to ensure you have a memorable and fun time!
We always keep a close eye on the weather and conditions concerning our field trips, cruise, and experiences. Cancellations are rare. In the event that the National Eagle Center is forced to cancel an experience, all registrants will receive a full refund.
For experiences that are not canceled, registrants must request a refund by 5 p.m. three days prior to the event to receive a full refund.
(Example: for a Saturday field trip, a refund request must be received by 5 p.m. the Wednesday before the trip.)
Hear why visitors from around the world call us the premier destination for wildlife and eagle enthusiasts.
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Book Your Perfect Day
Observe eagles in their natural environment, meet our eagle ambassadors up close, and learn from our eagle experts and caretakers who are here to answer questions.
Stop by our beautiful gift shops and take a piece of the National Eagle Center home with you.